Geoffrey James lists 5 neurosciece discoveries of 2014 that will practically help us.
1. Our brain uses labels in words to describe how we feel. “Relabeling your emotions with bland or positive words (dislike, excited, curious, etc.) makes a fight/flight response less likely, making you calmer in a pinch.”
2. Use simple, clear words to describe situations andyou’ll think clearer.
3. “Eight simple changes to your presentation (like an easily understood storyline) can vastly improve your ability to influence others.”
4. “Four simple changes to your management style can … make people more willing to follow your leadership.”
5. Be optimistic. “Five basic mental habits help managers and leaders encourage and create the right attitude for their own success and the success of the teams they lead.”